List of Materials We Recycle
In alphabetical order, here is our most up to date list of materials we can recycle:
- American Flags
Volunteers take gently used American Flags to either the American Legion Hall or Boy Scout Troops for proper retirement.
We Accept Stoves, Refrigerators, Dehumidifiers, Freezers, Air Conditioners, Water Coolers, etc. General rule of thumb is any item is 85% metals. So this list also contains lawn mowers among other items.
For all items containing Freon, members will be charged $10 per item and non-members will be charged $15 per item plus the $3 gate fee.
*Note: This charge does not increase revenue for Recycle Livingston.
We Accept all sizes of household batteries, lithium, or hearing aid batteries.
We Cannot Accept Car Batteries
- Boat Tarps
- Members can drop off a maximum of (2) tarps at no additional charge. Additional tarps are $2/each.
- Non-Members can drop off a maximum of (2) tarps for the $3 gate fee. All additional tarps are $2/each.
- Business Members can drop off a maximum (6) boat tarps at no additional charge. Additional tarps are $2/each.
- Non Business Members can drop off (2) boat tarps for the $10 gate fee. We will accept an additional (6) tarps per visit for $2/each.
We Accept all corrugated cardboard. Please flatten and remove any inner linings from all corrugated cardboard and boxboard such as Kleenex boxes. Only place boxboard that has a brown/gray color on the inside with cardboard. Boxboard that has a white inside belongs with mixed paper. Brown paper bags also belong with cardboard. No need to remove staples.
We Cannot Accept Plastic or Waxy coated refrigerator or freezer containers such as milk containers, orange juice, ice cream or frozen dinner boxes even if the container contains a recycling symbol.
- Cell Phones
We Accept all makes and models of cell phones and accessories.
- Christmas Lights
We Accept the strings of Christmas lights and there is no need to remove the bulbs.
We Cannot accept just the light bulbs
- Clothing/Household Textiles
- New, used, worn, laundered clothing of all types including jackets, coats, sweaters, undergarments, athletic gear, bathing suits, hats, gloves, socks, laptop covers, small luggage, purses, wallets, dress up costumes, jewelry, soft toys, stuffed animals, blankets, sheets, pillows, memory foam pillows, towels, shower curtains, comforters, drapery, mats, small rugs, and more.
- Of course if the item is still in great repair, wonderful! However stained, torn, worn out clothing or material (think old towels, sheets, rags) are welcome as well.
Beginning March 1st, 2016 a recycling fee must now be collected for all electronic items we accept for recycling. Please view the Important Notice for more information.
- DVD/CD/Cassette/VHS/Hard Drives
This material can only be accepted at the office trailer for a fee of $.30/lb by appointment or on site days. This material must be free of any plastic covers or paper sleeves. Please call 517.548.4439 for appointments.
We Accept clear, brown, and green glass. Rinse thoroughly and remove any plastic or metal lids accordingly. We can only recycle food container glass or beverage container glass such as wine, beer, pop, etc.
We Cannot Accept drinking glasses, mirrors, perfume bottles, glass shelves or table tops, leaded glass, windows, auto glass, ceramic dishes or Pyrex glass.
- InkJet Cartridges
We Accept to use for refills of our printer cartridges and credit for office supplies.
- Juice Bag Pouches
We Accept juice bag pouches and method soap pouches through Terracycle. Pouches must be empty and clean.
- Latex Paint
We Accept all latex paint. There is a $3 per container charge and that includes quart, gallon, and 5 gallon containers for everyone.
We Accept tin cans, aluminum, and all metals combined. Rinse thoroughly and there is no need to remove the labels. Remember any items containing 85% metal is recyclable.
- Mixed Paper
We Accept most categories of paper and can be combined all in the same container. These includes magazines, junk mail, white and colored paper hard and soft cover books, envelopes, construction paper, manila folders, and non-glossy boxboard that is white inside. No need to remove staples however large paper clips or other metal attachments should always be removed.
We Cannot Accept gift wrap, tissue paper, paper plates, napkins, or paper towels
We Accept all newsprint like paper which includes phone books, newsprint packing paper, etc. Please keep newspaper material separate from the mixed paper. There is no need to remove inserts that come with newspapers.
- Plastics #1 through #7
We Accept most plastic materials marked #1 through #7 combined. You can place all of the plastic together in one clear bag, brown paper bag, or reusable tote. Labels can be left on and remember please to rinse thoroughly. The container must contain the recycling symbol and a number. The number tells the vendor what grade of plastic material is made from.
And with vendors, there is always an exception to the rule. So read carefully the information below:
- Plastic Grocery Bags, #2 and #4, are acceptable and should be dry and clean.Rule of thumb, our vendor requests that we only accept bags you can faintly see your hand through the plastic and contain the recycling symbol.
- Plastic Water Softener Bags and Dog/Cat Food Bags only can be accepted if they contain the recycling symbol with #1-#7 clearly marked.
- Motor Oil containers with the symbol can be Accepted; however must be empty of oil.
- Outdoor Plastic Lawn Furniture and Children’s Toys are Accepted if 100% hard formed plastic material. Some will contain the recycling symbol to aid us. Remove any metal or non plastic from the material.
- Empty and Dry Plastic Latex Paint cans are Acceptable
- Now, let’s talk about what is not Acceptable:
- Black Plastic bags, especially garbage bags
- No Ziplock Plastic Bags
- No PVC Pipe – even though it may contain a recycling symbol. This plastic is too hard and brittle for our compactors to handle.
- No Fast Food Lids or Straws
- No Hazardous Material containers of any kind. Motor Oil is not considered hazardous until it has been run through a machine.
For more information on where to recycle plastic bags and plastic film, go to www.plasticfilmrecycling.org.
We Accept wearable shoes and boots. International Trading Solution sends our shoes to other countries where they are used for walking long distances and to work. Golf shoes and Ice Skates are also accepted.
We Cannot Accept high heeled shoes, flip flops, slippers or torn up shoes.
We Accept most polystyrene foam in the form of meat trays, cups, restaurant carry out containers, packing Styrofoam, etc. We request that all Styrofoam is rinsed clean of any food debris.
We Cannot Accept packing peanuts. Check with a local UPS store as they often accept them for reuse. Nor can we accept Styrofoam Insulation.
- Vinyl Siding
We Accept regular vinyl siding in all colors and condition.
We Cannot Accept plastic lumber, plastic lattice or mini blinds
Some Specific Items We Cannot Accept:
- No Aerosol Cans
- No Water Softener Tanks
- No Barbed Wire
- No Carpeting or Carpet Padding
- No Insulation Foam
- No Smoke Detectors
- No Varnishes, Pesticides, or Chemicals
- No Glossy Snapshot Pictures
- No Stuffed Furniture
- No Window Blinds
- No Light Bulbs
- No PVC Pipe
- No Foil Like Gum Wrappers
- No Dishes, Glass Cookware, or Drinking Glasses
You can contact the Livingston County Solid Waste Program for instruction on how to dispose of many hazardous or difficult items.